- The amount of energy used making the super bowl, this single event, what it is could power 1,500 homes for an entire year.
- The amount of energy is estimated to have a 15,000 Megawatt Carbon Footprint.
The NFL along with Just Energy, and the North Texas Super Bowl XLV Host Committee are planning on purchasing renewable energy certificates (RECs). All of the carbon emissions dealing with the super bowl will be offset with these RECs. Every Megawatt of energy used for the super bowl will be matched by a megawatt of renewable energy by a sea water windfarm in Seawater, Texas.
With this system of carbon offset, Super Bowl XLV will have no environmental impact.
Other things that the NFL is involved in regarding sustainability:
- Planting trees as part of "greening" of the super bowl
- Biofeuls will be used wherever they can
- field generators
- Recycling at major event venues
- Extra food left over after sporting events will be donated
- All left over materials from events will also be donated
Two thumbs up to the NFL.